Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism are contact lenses for patients with astigmatism made by Johnson and Johnson Vision Products, Inc. Its blink-stabilized design makes sure that the contact lenses remain in place, do not shift and provide clear vision.
What is astigmatism?
Astigmatism is a type of refractive error in which the light entering into the eye does not focus on the retina evenly. The curvature of the cornea (the transparent tissue at the front of the eye) is not equally curved in all parts of its surface (not spherical). It is more curved in one meridian and the other meridian is relatively less curved.
A football is a good analogy of spherical surface. A rugby ball or American football is analogous to a cornea with astigmatism.
For myopia (short-sightedness) and hypermetropia (long-sightedness), spherical contact lenses correct the vision. Contact lenses or astigmatism are called as toric lenses. Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism are such contact lenses.
Do you need an eye exam to wear Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism contact lenses?
Yes. Since you need a specific prescription for your contact lenses, you need to be examined by an eye doctor to decide the power and type of lenses for vision correction. The eye exam also ensures that you don’t have any eye condition in which you should avoid wearing contact lens.
The ophthalmologist or optometrist measures the base curve (back curvature of contact lens) and diameter (edge to edge measurement) of the contact lenses to ensure good fit, comfort and clear vision.
What are some salient features of Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism?
1. Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism and other toric contact lenses have different powers at different axes of the lens. So if the contact lenses rotate in your eyes, your vision would become blurred. Acuvue Oasys lenses do not rotate in the eyes when you blink and move your eyes maintaining clear vision. In these lenses, alignment of lenses does not depend on gravity. The normal blinking action keeps the lenses in proper alignment to provide clear vision.
Here is a video to explain blink-stabilized design of Acuvue Oasys lenses:
2. Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism lenses have high level of UV (ultraviolet) protection. They block about 96% of UVA rays and 99.9% of UVB rays.
3. These lenses have Hydraclear plus technology which keep the lenses wet and smooth. The lenses are made from the material which absorbs water making the lenses soft and flexible. The tear film on the surface of the eye is maintained well preventing dryness and its consequences.
4. Contact lenses may block oxygen to reach the cornea. Acuvue Oasys lenses allow oxygen freely so that there is no hypoxic effects, corneal swelling and subsequent complications.
5. Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism lenses are tinted so that they are visible for proper handling.
6. Even during digital screen use like a computer, you feel comfortable and have clear vision throughout the day.
So if you have astigmatism, you may consider Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism contact lenses for regular use or less frequent use by alternating with glasses depending on your activity. Remember, the prescription of your toric contact lenses is different from your glasses. Your eye doctor will examine your eyes, do some tests and will tell you the exact prescription you need along with the instructions on how to use the lenses and how to take care of your eyes when you use Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism contact lenses.